I decided to do a little experimenting with my holiday card this year. I've been seeing so many artists I love doing neat things with adding metallic leaf to their work that I had to give it a try. I also wanted to see what would happen if I started with a watercolor under-painting and then do a little work with oil on top. (partly for speed and partly to play with texture/translucence) There was a lot about this experiment that I really liked and I can't wait to do it a little more. It's a difficult effect to reproduce (I tried to replicate it somewhat with an animation at the bottom) but I love the quality of the original.
watercolor, oil and silver-leaf on paper.