Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Replanting the Garden




Replanting the Garden brings together the work of 40 artists who were simply given the directive to make a piece in response to H. Bosch's GARDEN of EARTHLY DELIGHTS.



I ended up choosing something a little different: Eve Taming the Snake. Eve gets a bad rap when all she did was choose to accept awareness and knowledge of the world. Without Eve there is no art, no words no pain, no love, no beauty. Without Eve, we would not be able to delight in the earth, so I decided to paint a portrait that illustrates the respect I feel for her. She has cast off her forced role of the weak-willed woman, shaved her head and made that snake her own. My Eve isn't the tempted, she is the hunter. Next she will go rescue Prometheus.

Replanting the Garden, curated by Richard Saja, opened last week in Indianapolis' Big Car Gallery space. This is a wonderfully eclectic show and I was very happy to be included. You can see all the images at http://replantingthegarden.blogspot.com/ and purchase them through the Gallery or http://www.etsy.com/shop/BigCarGallery.

7 comments:

  1. This piece turned out fantastic, Kristina :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing and lush piece, Kristina.

    And what a cool idea for a show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree on all counts. Lovely piece and great idea for a show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The painting came out great Kristina, but I have to comment on what you said about Eve. Having gone to Catholic School all my life... you're right. I never thought of her that way (for the record, i don't subscribe to catholic ideologies myself). She definitely does get a bad rap, as do most biblical women save a handful. Props to you madame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece! Love the color choice, and how you put her face in shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...after reading your post, I must admit that I love the angle of the spin. It creates a very NEW image of Eve and I love women with shaved heads. It requires a certain strength to defy what society places value in or sees as beautiful. Well done. I will also feel motivated to look at each piece to see what else I can feel and appreciate. I have great respect for your technical perfection and emotional depth.

    ReplyDelete